Saturday, January 3, 2009

So...what WAS Francoise up to?

I remember that people got in a tiff about Francoise not being in the final-final FBOFW strip, especially in the panel where Liz and Anthony shows off their new son to Jim and Iris, and in the panel where they are dancing. Everyone else in the immediate family got some panel time, after all, except for Francoise. Well she was there, and I'll show you in a moment after I move and refocus the camera...

Francoise really does have to channel all that mental power into something, or explode from all the FOOBishness.

This came about when I was thinking about Francoise and her situation, and then it hit me. Francoise really is like Matilda. She's a three-year-old with an very advanced vocabulary, and her dad even works at a car dealership! I'm not sure if Liz would go the platinum hair route though!

Ugh, this picture took forever to draw, because I had to draw very tiny people! Very, very tiny...so the ink work is kind of shaky. But, on the other hand, this was the first time I drew that many people in proximity to each other, and two different rooms, and I think I did okay with that. I used to have lines indicating walls and a ceiling, but I think the back room looks okay without defining features like that?

5 comments:

  1. Nice how you have the 'official' (i.e. step-child and Martian free) portrait in the foreground and Assthony thought-bubbling about Therese in the background. That's so like the Patterclods we all know; I'd love to see every last one of the Milborough Mother-frakkers get a Dahl-esque scraping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love this! The detail about Anthony thought-bubbling Thérèse is perfect. Poor Françoise.

    I know what you mean about drawing tiny people. I've been doing a lot of that with my other comic strip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Anth's Therese-fantasy. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, yeah, I love Roald Dahl! They would never let someone like him be published today, though. Too unPC, I think.

    DC, I did put April in the official family portrait, she is on the far right, the only female wearing pants and with her hair down. April is such a rebel, isn't she?

    But now I'm all alarmed because I have this sense I left out a family member! I didn't, did I? The portrait was a gift to Grandpa Jim, since I think that is supposed to be his place. But yes, Francoise was conveniently visiting her mother when the family went off to get the portrait done.

    It's funny, I put in the thought bubble of Therese last, because there was an empty space there...and Anthony already had that goofy, staring-into-space look, so I couldn't resist visualizing what he was thinking...heh!

    April P, I never realized that you were doing another, nonFOOB comic...I never paid attention to the other one at the bottom, other than vaguely wondering why it was being advertised on your page! I'll pay attention better from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. It would make perfect sense for Anthony to continue to thought-bubble Therese for the rest of his married life; he's the kind of guy who is always ignoring what he has and longing for what he has not.

    2. Now all Francie has to do is wish all these choads into the cornfield, and everything will be perfect.

    3. Sparing that, it's easy to imagine James Allen being fussed over as he scribbles all over walls and sticks crayons up his nose, while Anthony thought-bubbles how Francie, when his age, was composing songs and reciting the latin alphabet to the tune of "Now I know my ABCs.."

    ReplyDelete