Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fred is ded.

Sorry for the long absence! I got swamped with work and a to-do list a mile long. Here is a small panel for today.


I'll let you guys hazard guesses at how Fred died. This panel came about when I was planning a different one where Elly was lecturing Mike on not letting yet another fish die and listing all the fish they've had between Fred and the current Frank. I went online to see what names I could use as an alliterative for 'fish', and realized that there really aren't a lot of names that begin with 'F' in western-speaking countries. So this panel was born instead.

Michael's hair is different than the last time I drew Michael since I'm still experimenting with drawing hair, especially for boys. It's harder to draw short hair than longer hair for me, although I really liked the way Dee's hair turned out in the last TFP.

Getting slightly off topic here, I've been playing with a foe-fic about April and an sequel starring Elizabeth, and was wondering if I should write it, which would be much faster, or take the plunge and draw it all as a comic strip? Or maybe a combination of the two, since I'm a very slow drawer? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. This made me giggle. :)

    I'd do a combination of drawing/writing, if I were you. But then, I do stick figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since he's supposed to be such a genius, he should simply make up a nonsense word that starts with an "F" sound. Too bad he's as dumb as a rock, though. He'd probably call the next one Fred the third or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or spell Fred with a "Ph" instead of an "F." I did that with some of my fish. :P (I had one named Phishee) Not that anyone could tell from when I said it, but really, it's not like I talked about my fish very often. I still need to name a fish "ghoti"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about being a slow drawer, but your work is so much more detailed than mine, so I'm impressed that you'd even consider doing an all-drawn foefic. I'd be happy with whatever you decide. You could do it mostly prose with the occasional illustration to show a gobsmack, triangle of horror, pupil disappearance or any of the other visual trademarks the new-runs rely on more and more every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - Felix, Forrest, Ford, Floyd, Franz, Ferdinand, Ferdinando, Francis, Frederick, Frederic, Frédéric (in honour of Thérèse)...

    You're right: not much in the way of male names -- just variations on a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All righty, after seeing your feedback, I've decided to go for a prose/art mix. It will give me the flexibility to draw as little or as much as I want. I'm not sure when I'll roll out the foe-fic/comic...I'll have to get some of the framework finished so I know where I'm heading before I commit. I'll give you guys some notice when I'm ready, though. :)

    forworse, thanks for the complement! I think you are doing a good job too, and that you should continue whenever you have time. :)

    Yeah, I looked at some baby name websites and realized that half the 'F' names were variations of the same name.

    Quijotesca, in that vein, I so didn't think about phonetics...'Ph' to replace 'Ef'. There be alien territory for me! ;) I learned all of my words visually, not phonetically. the first time I saw phonetic words were when my sister was learning them in first grade or so.

    For the record, the names of all the fish Mike has had between Fred and Frank are: Fred, Faith, Fabian, Frieda, Felix, Fern, Floyd, Faye, Francis, Felicia, Forrest, Fiona, Finn, Florence and Frank. Heh!

    ReplyDelete